Tuesday, November 3, 2009

True giving


I was raised in a Taoist family and morals were taught to me since I was a small boy. Filial piety, integrity, being hardworking and giving to others were some values instilled in me during my Taoist upbringing.

But I never knew the true meaning of giving until 2 nights ago.

When you are really poor with only a few bucks left, go give 50 cents to an elderly woman who is begging.

Go and give 50 cents to a monk who is begging (some monks beg genuinely because of their religious convictions).

When you are left with 5 bucks, give a dollar to someone who needs it more than you do.

I did and it made me cry.

This is not one of my best periods in life but just 2 days ago, I saw this elderly woman, hunched, one eye probably lost to illness, selling tissue papers on the street.

I walked by her and I wanted to just walk by her. I was thinking "She needs money. Well I need money too right now in my life."

And then it struck me. Nothing spiritual, nothing special. It struck me that she needs money MORE than I do.

Oh boy did my heart tug at me. I went forward and gave her fifty cents. That night, I gave out of my poverty.

And it made me cry. I finally know how it feels to really give to a fellow human being, with no strings attached.

I finally know what it feels like to give unselfishly.



When your mind is empty of prejudices you can see the Tao. When your heart is empty of desires you can follow the Tao.


Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha

If you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart. ~Arabian Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment