Friday, November 20, 2009
Italy. The land of pizzas, love and the Pope.
Some interesting facts about this country.
1. Italian MEN try relentlessly to pick up women from the streets by whistling to attract attention, following and pick-up lines! Talk about the most romantic country in the world! Even the Italian old men will sing a song to impress women!
2. The Vatican sits in the middle of Italy and is an independent country.
3. Italy is more than 90% Catholic and Italians go to St Petersburg Square to try to catch a glimpse of His Holiness, the Pope.
4. Italy is also well-known for its notorious mafia.
5. The Colosseum is found in Italy and was built during the Roman Empire for the Romans to watch animals and humans fight to death.
6. The city of Pompeii in Italy was covered in volcanic ash when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79AD. If you visit the city today, you can see plastic casts of the victims trying to escape or protect themselves from the falling ash in-situ.
7. Italians are not impressed when you speak English to them. Speak their language.
8. You can rent a scooter without any license in Rome and travel around on it!
9. Italians are well-known to mad drivers. I don't know how true it is but from the documentary I watch, it seems like it.
10. The capital of Italy, Rome, was once the centre of the Roman Empire.