Thursday, September 24, 2009

Promoting understanding of Islam - The call of prayer

Every morning at about 5.30am, I hear the call of Muslim prayer and submission unto Allah from my neighbour's house.

Hearing that long, soothing call of prayer somehow gives me a kind of peace. No, I am not a Muslim but it amazes me greatly that since 600(+)AD, this tradition of the call of prayer in the early morning hours has been used to summon Muslims all over the world to bow in prayer, in reverence to Allah.

So I became curious this morning and decided to google what the Muslim call of prayer means in English. So hear goes!

The Muslim Call of Prayer ----->

Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah - I bear witness that there is no god except the One God (Allah).

Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasool Allah - I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

Hayya 'ala-s-Salah - Hurry to the prayer (Rise up for prayer)

Hayya 'ala-l-Falah - Hurry to success (Rise up for Salvation)


Allahu Akbar - Allah is Great

La ilaha illa Allah - There is no god except the One God (Allah)

For the pre-dawn (fajr) prayer, the following phrase is inserted after the fifth part above, towards the end:

As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm - Prayer is better than sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment